U Tin Oo


General Thura Tin Oo,  born 3 March 1927 in Pathein, often referred to as U Tin Oo) is a retired general, former commander in chief of the armed forces of Union of Myanmar, highly decorated soldier, pro-democracy activist and deputy leader of the National League for Democracy (NLD) in Myanmar.  His spouse is Dr. Tin Moe Wai.   His Children Thant Zin Oo.  His occupation was ex. Army General and politician.

Tin Oo joined the army on 26 February 1946 as a Second Lieutenant in Burma Rifle Battalion. He reached the ranks of Lieutenant on 7 January 1947, Captain on 27 September 1948 and served as executive officer at Armed Forces Training Headquarters. On 22 June 1949, he was transferred to No.1 Burma Rifle Battalion as Company Commander. He was promoted to the rank of Major on 25 January 1950 and became Deputy Battalion Commander (2IC) of No.1 Burma Rifle Battalion and took over the position of acting Battalion Commander on 27 November 1951.

Tin Oo was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel on 21 January 1954 and became Commander of 4th Infantry Brigade on 30 May 1957. He was then transferred to Army Officer Training School as Commandant on 13 September 1957. Throughout 1958 and 1961, Lieutenant Colonel Tin Oo served as Battalion Commander for No. 14 Infantry Battalion (from 18 November 1958), No. 2 Burma Rifle Battalion (from 16 February 1961) and after his promotion as Colonel, he became acting Commander for No. 13 Infantry Brigade (from 20 February 1961).

He was then given the command of South West Regional Military Command and promoted to the rank of Colonel on 14 February 1963. On 19 September 1964 he became Commander of Central Regional Military Command. He was then promoted to the rank of Brigadier General and became Deputy Chief of Staff (Army) on 20 April 1972. On 8 March 1974 he was promoted to the rank of General and became Commander in Chief of Tatmadaw. He was armed forces Commander in Chief during the bloody crackdown on student protests surrounding the funeral of former UN Secretary General U Thant.

He was released under general amnesty in 1980, after which he studied and received a degree in Law. On 2 September 1988, he became the Vice Chairman of the National League for Democracy (NLD) and on 20 December, the Chairman of NLD. From 20 July 1989 he was put under house arrest and from 22 December 1989, he was imprisoned for three years.

On 30 May 2003, Tin Oo, travelling with the caravan of Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the NLD, was attacked in the northern village of Depayin by a government-sponsored mob, murdering and wounding many of his supporters.  Tin Oo was taken into detention along with Aung San Suu Kyi and was initially held in prison in Kalay in northwestern Myanmar. In February 2004 he was brought back to his home in Yangon, where he is actually held under house arrest.  The junta extended his detention by one year in February 2007, 2008, and 2009. The last of these extensions was in violation of the rule of Burmese law, but no explanation was given by the junta.   He was released from House Arrest on February 13, 2010.

Reference:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Oo




This entry was posted in Famous People, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s